Thursday, February 25, 2016

Boston Marathon Training -- Week 7 Wrap-up

It's hard to believe that week 6 of 14 is nearly in the bag training-wise for Boston 2016.    After averaging about 45 miles a week through week-5 including this training cycle's first 20 miler last Saturday, I decided to back off this week due to a lower right leg muscle/tendon strain from pushing too hard in my track intervals in January and instead focus on core, mobility and aerobic training volume with an easy 14 on Saturday.  

In short the first 6 weeks have really been focused on getting to racing weight (down 11 lbs) and then the final 6 weeks before tapering on strength intervals, tempo runs and fast-finish long runs.     I think it's been a good bet since I raced a marathon mid-December and have a solid training base from the Fall.  We will see on Patriot's Day in Boston.

Fingers crossed the lower right leg muscle/tendon strain abates and I can get back to full speed soon.  It wouldn't be a marathon training cycle if there wasn't some twists and turns along the way.   I truly believe the real story of running a marathon isn't the race itself but how one navigates the twists and turns of 6 runs a week for 14-16 weeks enroute to the starting corrals.   I run 6 days a week for 14 weeks so race day is usually my 84th run.   The real story is all that it took to get to the 84th run on race morning.  

I am hoping to talk more about that in the posts that follow leading to Patriot's Day in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment