Monday, March 7, 2016

Boston Marathon Training -- Week 8 Wrap-up

Sitting on a plane headed out east on business this week and looking ahead to 6 weeks from now when we'll be just a few moments from starting the Boston Marathon.    Week 8 of training was solid with 7 hours of volume and over 9 hours including core and mobility work.  The week ended with my first run in 7 days due to healing a lower right leg tendon issue which has cooled down quite a bit thankfully.   Yesterday's 20-miler was decent given I've only run twice in 2 weeks going 20 miles in 2:53:00 but feeling quite strong through 16 before fading 9:00 minute pace.    I will continue the tendon rehab this week but try to get back into my routine of doing interval and tempo work weekly to complement my weekend long runs.   This week is an 8 mile tempo at or around 7:30 pace with a mile w/u and w/d.  It will be a little more challenging as I need to fit this workout in while on the road (hoping for a trail vs. a hotel treadmill).   My other workout of substance is 6 x 1 mile intervals which are always one of my favorite marathon training sessions.

Due to my minor injury, I'm about 2 weeks off where I should be relative to strength intervals, but hope to make it up based on having lost 15 lbs the last couple of months getting down to racing weight.

We shall see.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment