Thursday, April 14, 2016

Final Odds and Ends before departing for Boston

Just finished my final run here in Bellevue before heading out to Boston on a 5:00 am flight tomorrow.   I booked this flight 6 months ago and leaving at 5:00 am felt like a good idea then (for some unknown reason); however, this afternoon it's the pits as I'm not sure what I was thinking given it's me, my wife, and our 2 year old daughter Jayden in tow.    This will be a 3:00 am wake-up; 3:30 Uber and 4:00 am arrival at Sea-Tac before hitting security.  Thankfully we are TSA Pre given how bad Sea-Tac TSA has been with queue management.

Today's track run was really my first since February when I injured a lower, right leg tendon.    4 x 400's with 400 jogging rest interval.   I've managed to somehow get a lot faster this training cycle running them in 92,92, 89 and 88 seconds respectively.    It's really not a marathon-specific workout running at 5K speed, but it felt good and helps to build confidence for Monday afternoon when I'm going to need some leg speed on the final 5.2 miles to Boylston and the finish.

I am sure nearly every race participant has been nervously watching the Boston weather forecast and feeling a small since of foreboding as the forecast temperature for Monday continues to climb towards 70 degrees.    The good news is that most of the race will be in the lower 60's with maybe even a bit of a tail wind.    Far better than in 2012 when I ran and temperatures peaked near 90 and it was suffocating.


My packing list is an assortment of about anything imaginable I might need to either prepare, run or recover from Monday's race.    Here's a quick inventory from my hand-scribbled notes:

2 pair running socks (1 for a final run Sunday and 1 for race day)
Asics Nimbus 18 running shoes
2 pair CEP compression sleeves
Garmin 620 and charger
HR strap
Vitargo Carb Mix
Body Glide
Racing shorts and t-shirt
Utility belt with 3 8-oz flask
Fanny pack
Nuun tablets
Race morning sweat-shirt, sweats (to be left at Athlete's village)
Running hat
Big Towel (also to be left behind in athlete's village)
4 x Power Gels
Rolling Stick
Green Thera-band
Orange Lacrosse Ball
Blue roller Ball (for back and scaps)
Rain Poncho (2)
Garbage bag (for athlete's village)
Salt Tablets
Racing glasses
Ear buds (for airplane; I don't race with music ever)
Rain jacket (in case the forecast changes)
1 gallon plastic bag to carry into Athlete's village
3 small plastic sandwhich bags for misc. gear including storage of iPhone in fanny pack during race

I could go on and on but I need to go back all of this stuff up and get organized for a 3 am wake-up.

Next post from Boston and my final thoughts on how I'm going to approach the race on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment